There's a little bit of cheating involved in this recipe. Basically, I didn't make it. Mom made it, but it is so simple & it turned out so amazing that not sharing it with you would have been sacrilegious. Plus I was responsible for the final baking - so I get a little bit of credit here. Mom makes a Desi-style gravy to serve on the side using up the remaining marinade juices. Serve with potato gratin, mashed potatoes, baked potato or baked vegetables.
For the Chicken
|Chicken Tikka - Pakistani Style|
Chicken Tikka - Pakistani Style
For the Chicken:
- 4 large Chicken Tikka Pieces with bone (used all breast pieces, but you can substitute leg pieces or a combination of both)
- 8 to 10 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoon Chicken Tandoori Masala (Used Shan)
- 250 grams yoghurt (drain yoghurt in a muslin cloth for an hour so it becomes thick or use Greek yoghurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 4 tablespoon oil
- Remainder juices from chicken
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic (sliced thinly)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoon worcheshire sauce
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Cornflour dissolved in water (optional to thicken if required)
- Whisk all the marinade ingredients well.
- Make slits in the chicken pieces, and then marinate overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line a roasting tray with aluminum foil and then put chicken as well as the marinade into the tray.
- Cover the chicken & tray with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After chicken has baked for 30 minutes, take off the foil, and drain about 80-90% of the marinade juices into a separate container.
- Lower heat to 120 degrees celsius and bake chicken uncovered for 15 - 30 minutes till the marinade dries up.
- Use the leftover marinade juices to make gravy on the side.
- Heat oil and fry garlic till light brown.
- Add onion & saute for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add gravy juices, and capsicum and remaining seasoning ingredients.
- Taste & adjust seasoning if required.
- Thicken with cornflour.
- Serve with chicken tikka on the side.